Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Go Beyond Leadership



It was early January this year when our Human Resource Management Office instructed me to submit all necessary documents needed for the processing of my new appointment as Department Head of Management Information Services Office. I was just an acting officer of the said office for the past six (6) years. Honestly, I felt more anxious than joyful with the great news that I received that day. At the back of my mind, too many questions kept popping up. And one of the concerns was: can I really manage it? Am I really capable of the position? Am I really the right person for the position? Do I really deserve the trust given to me by my fellow leaders? It is not because I can’t deliver what they expect of me. Knowing myself in terms of public service, I can give 100% of my management and leadership skills. However, I am more worried about their expectations, considering I am not an IT professional, nor a graduate of any Journalism course that can complement my present office mandate. I am just an Educator.




Allow me to give you a chronicle on some of my wacky experiences when I was just starting as a neophyte in my government service at City Mayor’s Office way back 1998. Photos below are the exchange of written love notes from my previous superior, now one of the dynamic political leaders of the province of Bataan, and on how these experiences led me to where I am now.  These notes that I have kept in my archive served their purpose. They molded and prepared me to the more challenging role that I am doing now.









And knowing that the LCE is already annoyed with me, I have to think of ways on how this problem could be solved without seeing him personally for some sermon and arguments! lol :-)


This man never gets tired of calling my attention and reminding me of my work performance. At times, when our office has no clients and he has available time, he would call me to his office for a one-on-one talk just to remind me of my "kasungitan" (mood swing).lol

 One time he gave me a surprise phone call just to check if I was observing the proper phone etiquette at the work place. And he would constantly remind me that I should improve my manner of answering telephone calls. I even learned from him the art of coordination and proper way of addressing clients needs specially people coming from the poorest of the poor. It helps develop my patience and humility in serving people. This is how he developed and molded me as a leader. And I admire him for that.

Photos below are some of my experiences that really measured my leadership skills in terms of good governance together with some of my proactive fellow department heads in the City of Balanga.


This photo was taken year 2008 at Baguio City as I was invited to be one of the speaker by the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) for around 300 newly elected Barangay officials, a seminar-workshop and orientation on local good governance. I was requested to give some overview and talks on how information technology can help speed  up government services and how it can help streamline government processes.


This photo was taken year 2011 during awarding ceremony on National Literacy Coordinating Council as Balanga bagged the first placed category for best practices on implementing literacy programs.

A nerve-wracking experience to be seated in front of the defence panel during the Performance Governance System (PGS) Revalida while the Chief Executive was reporting on the present performance of the City of Balanga. This was necessary for us to take another step forward in our ongoing PGS accreditation held at PICC Manila in October of 2013.




This photo was taken together with our Honorable City Mayor Joet S. Garcia and fellow department heads during Dangal Balangueno 2011. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment