Monday, June 13, 2011

2011 National Independence Day

The City Department Heads and Administrator with our City Mayor Jose Enrique S. Garcia III during 2011 National Independence Day.

The celebration of National Independence Day was coined to the word FREEDOM. This is the sweetest end-product of our sovereignty that we attained through the honor of our national heroes. The 113th Independence Day celebration is equivalent to the count of blood and tears that dropped from our heroes’ lifeless bodies to fight for our freedom. Today, we are literally free and somehow independent, but not from our skepticism. I, myself, am a prisoner of the thought that PHL economy cannot make it on top like Singapore or Japan unless we choose to free ourselves from the common illness of this society. Poverty, corrupt bureaucracy, oppression, huge numbers of unemployed OFW’s (Overseas Filipino Workers) and graduates, and poor political system wherein the common practice of leaders of this nation is to blatantly attack their political enemies on national television so that they will stand out! Common guys, walk your talk!  Is that you Mr. P------t? Our present economy is like a turtle walking exhaustedly. I sometimes discourage myself from hearing or watching current news on television as it really depresses me to see people from all walks of life suffer from various situational problems. I know most of you will tell me that it is too easy for me to say this.  You would say that our leaders also have too many things to consider. Ok, it is a given fact, but what is their priority? Put all the thieves in jail?! Then what’s next?! They almost forget the fact that we have other issues to attend to also. We have mouths to feed, children to educate, illness to treat, etc… If our heroes had foreseen these current scenarios in our country, I am 100% sure that they would not have thought of offering their lives if this would just be the kind of life they could give to their kin. Then I ask myself, what is my contribution then? As Abraham Lincoln said, “I hope to stand firm enough to not go backward, and yet not go forward fast enough to wreck the country's cause”. I need to work double time. What about you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment